Thursday, June 22, 2006

Buying Time

I was a little worried that with my lack of sleep, I may be tired and not very patient with my students last night. But thank goodness, after having a cup of coffee, I was pretty active and alert. My buddy hurt her back and wasn’t there to assist me so I was all prepared for a night of frustration at the prospect of having to drive some near impossible mathematical concepts into the grey matter of the educationally subnormal. But fortunately, I was met with two hours of fun and so much laughter that I had to sternly remind my charges to keep the racket down so that the class next door wasn’t disturbed. The hot topic last night was 腊筆小新 because the younger twin gave me some drawings on the cartoon character. He didn’t think he drew them very well this time round but I love them anyway.

Enough of my recent past…let me get down to my topic today…time and now.

I am sure there must have been moments in life when we had missed some good opportunities or made some mistakes and regretted it right? Would you want to change or reverse some of those situations in your life if you have the chance? I would have grabbed the opportunity without any second thoughts if you asked me that ten years back but if I’m given that chance now, I wouldn’t take it up.

A good friend did ask me a few days ago if I’ve enough money to buy time, would I want to do it? My immediate answer obviously was no. Why? If I can buy time, would I appreciate my current time, my life, my now? The past is just but memories and by stagnating in a moment that is already gone and keep wanting to go back to that moment, I will never be able to make any advancement in my journey. I will always be at base camp. Only when we realise the importance of now will we strive to make the best out of our situations and treasure every opportunity we are given now.

We experience successes as well as misses and setbacks in life. We get to enjoy happiness but also need to face disappointments in life. These are all part and parcel of our journey. Don’t reminisce or cling on to the good moments and neither should you give up when you are hit by the bad moments because all these moments will pass. Just learn from the mistakes or setbacks and work hard as well as smart to achieve more success and happiness.

Do appreciate everything and everyone around you right now. Whether it’s your family, partner in life or friends, appreciate and treasure them now, this moment…so that you do not need to regret it later and wish you could buy or go back in time.

My friends, I feel I am experiencing so much success and happiness right now because of you people. I truly appreciate you being here for me just as much as I’ve been here for you. Here’s a big hug for all of you! xoxoxoxo

ps: Learning to put down all my suffering and happiness is one of the biggest lessons I’ve been taught in this life.

7 Comments:

At 6/22/2006 5:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear swooshi,

hehe...
I am the first...yayaya...

yup,i totally agree with your viewpoint

I really believe we are learning this life
we experienced good and bad in our life,why?? why give us good experience ?? have you think about??
I have an answer now(I know it will change in the future)

Good experience makes you learn more wisdom to accept the bad experience coming peaceful...

世上沒有真的好,真的壞.

I am very glad be your friend
I am very glad to meed you this time
For me,it's a good experience!

 
At 6/22/2006 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite your rather hectic schedule, you are still able to write frequently.

I am amazed - you write so well and you are able to articulate your thots into a meaningful essay each time.

Keep it going, buddy.

 
At 6/22/2006 10:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

宋 范仲淹 岳陽樓記
「不以物喜,不以已悲」
說明:不因外在事物而高興,也不因為自身遭遇而悲傷。
it means that no matter what the situation is happy or upset,your mood still be peaceful and never be influence by it.
but it is not easy for us to attain to such a state of mind.
yes, we have to keep climbing together.

物以稀為貴
diamond is rare,that's why it is more expensive than water,yeah in my first class of economics taught me so.
in other word, if time could be bought, it would not be cherished by us, cos it is cheap and not rare any more,maybe we will waste it as like water.

time is priceless, we cannot buy it back,so we should appreciate everymoment we have,and leave the past behind then moving ahead even sometime we stop just for taking a rest.

thx so much, i appreciate what you've done for us.

 
At 6/23/2006 11:25 am, Blogger yeelee said...

my friends, when i read the comments you leave for me, i only become more addicted to my blogging
to finally meet so many people who see what i see, read what i read, live what i live…
can you blame me for wanting to blog instead of working on my projects?
hungry eat, tired sleep
i will work to eat…

dimwit, your father is always by your side but you don't see him
there's a zen saying:
"when you see the buddha, kill the buddha"
one day you will understand this…

 
At 6/23/2006 11:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly! Totally agree with what swooshi has said.
It's weired,really weired.
People here are quite similar in many aspects .

Acturally,i've told swooshi that during these years I am also learing "Zen", "midetation" ..and have read a lot of "buddhism books"" New Age Books" such as "Conversations with God" (與神對話) whivh I knew swooshi has also read .And I knew clio is also taking some "buddhism" classes now ,right?

Then we meet each here via Saving Face. :) I guess we must be "old souls" and have knew each other in one of our pass life jounerys brfore.


I wanna sare all of you with my favorite theatre ,the U-theatre(優人神鼓). If you like Zen or Tao or this blog, you may like their performace as well.

I have watched "金剛心、聽海之心、禪武不二" before. There is not only "art" but also "Tao" in their performance that make you peaceful. The drumbeat really vibrates my heart.

They are going to have a new performace called "the Revier Jounery(與你共舞)" in September.

Below is U-theatre's website. It has English version .
http://www.utheatre.org.tw


(「優人神鼓」就是在自己寧靜所擊出的鼓聲。亦即「在自己的寧靜中擊鼓」。
一千多年前的中國禪師們就曾表示,
真正的藝術家必須要能將「道」(自己生命的修練)與「藝」(藝術技能的學習)融於一身。「道藝合一」正是優人創作與生活的目標。)

(The pronunciation of the letter “U” is similar to the word meaning “excellence” in the Chinese language. In ancient China, the same word also meant “performers”.
The Zen masters in China over a thousand years ago had said that a true artist must combine “Tao” (self-improvement) with “skill” (the learning and maturity of art). Established in 1988 in Taipei, Taiwan, U Theatre has continued to give performances and to search for the self in life ever since its inception.
The U-people believe that the combination of Tao and skill is the goal of their life and artistic creation.)

 
At 6/23/2006 11:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

correct:

"River Jounery" (與你共舞)



2006.9/21-9/24 2 -國家戲劇院

 
At 6/23/2006 4:22 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

lol!…another similar experience

wahaha, the U-theatre's performance reminds me of a similar performance i saw during the international zen conference held in singapore last year. a venerable performed for the audience and the impact of the sound generated by the percussion instruments was so great, i could feel the vibrations travelling through me all the way to my heart…a truly amazing experience…i can understand why you like this theatre group

why do i suddenly feel the resounding vibration of …Om?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger