Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What is this thing called Love?

I took a day off again yesterday to recover from my football fever. I was out the entire afternoon, shopping, reading at the library, getting my hair trimmed…doing everything except thinking about my work and also my internet…yeah, had to get away from that addiction.

While in the library, I stumbled upon this book ‘What is Love? - A simple buddhist guide to romantic happiness’ by Taro Gold.

Pinkheart talked about this topic recently and a lot of friends had different opinions. It actually made me think a little about it too, something I never seriously thought about. Anyway, I browsed through this book and found it interesting and would like to share some of the things the author has taught me.

But friends, I am just thinking some things aloud and sharing with you people here. It has nothing to do with my life right now, ok? So please don’t read too much into it, 不要想太多!

The first thing that hit me when I read the book was this statement: “Ignorance with love is better than knowledge without it.” How true a statement. Sometimes, I feel that I seem to know so much about love or loving someone but what good is all that knowledge when there’s none in my life? The people around me who seem so ignorant but yet are able to fall in love with such ease are definitely the more fortunate lot.

So, is it better to love someone or be loved by someone? (到底是愛人好還是被愛好呢?) I think either way, there’s happiness in there so everyone should just accept it when it happens. Just remember to enjoy the happiness.

The writer says to love is to desire something one lacks. A person who seems already whole will ultimately be unattractive to us because if he or she isn’t lacking in anything, then what would he or she need us for right? If we are looking for someone to perfectly match our wish list, we can expect to be single for a long while, perhaps even forever. Perfection is but a fantasy and until we satisfy within ourselves whatever we perceive to be our own inadequacies, we will never feel satisfied by a relationship.

“Being in love is not finding a perfect person but finding an imperfect person perfect.” Do you agree with the author? I certainly do. I think I’ve mentioned before that I‘ve been looking for the 100% perfect guy and I do know that it’s a fantasy. The author has confirmed that. Time to be less fussy huh? Hehe!

Friends who are in love, have loved before or seeking love, have you ever wondered what kind of love partner you are? The author says that there are three types of love partners, the dependent, independent and contributive love partners. Read on to find out which type you belong to.

A dependent love partner will give love but with strings attached. Such people tend to be controlling, manipulative and even selfish. An independent love partner however, will have mutual respect and a strong sense of individuality. Such people give love freely without expectations and will tell you to do what you do because it is the right thing to do.

A contributive love partner will share a sense of mission in life. Such people give love freely not only for each other’s nourishment but also towards a greater good of humanity. They are not content to help only themselves but passionately support others to improve their lives and become happy as well. In other words, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Ajahn Brahm has also taught that to have a long lasting relationship, we must only think of ‘us’ in the relationship. Not ‘I’, not ‘you’, but only ‘us’.

So what kind of love partner are you? Do think about it.

Shakyamuni said, “We don’t love what we desire. We desire what we love.” When looking for love, seek someone with whom we can share our life with and work towards our dreams. Friends, please don’t ever seek someone to fill a void in your life. That would be real sad.

As for me, I’m really reluctant to give up my freedom for that one person, especially if it hinders my spiritual journey. But if my G-plan insists that I do meet this person, I hope I am a contributive love partner and I can say to my partner, “I love you not only for who you are but for who I am when I am with you.” ~ Roy Croft

But Woody Allen once said, “To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer and not to love is to suffer.”

So either way, there’s still suffering…so how? Acknowledge the suffering then put it down. Work on the happiness instead! Happiness will make the relationship successful. Right?

Don’t think! Just love. Just do it.

16 Comments:

At 6/14/2006 3:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is feeling so good when you don't need to do and think anything about work, right?
i am so jealous of your yesterday easy life.
after reading, i can sure i am not dependent, maybe is between independent and contributive.
according to woody allen said,to love or not to love,either way must be suffering, of course i prefer to love, ha ha.
but freedom is priceless for me,too,is there someone whom deserves me to give it up with?
i must think it over and over.
thx for your sharing,so nice you are.
this is why i love to log on your blog every day.
謝謝囉!

 
At 6/14/2006 9:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear swooshi,
You should take more rest!
I was took off this morning for watching the baseball game..hahaha

王建民真讚!!

I think you know my type..
I am contributive person (加一點點independent)
如果愛人跟被愛都可以發生在一起,那就太好了!

世上所有的事都是讓我們學習的,不管好的壞的...uh....加油!加油!

 
At 6/14/2006 11:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swooshi
What is G plan?

 
At 6/15/2006 12:48 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

tacobee, ya…freedom…that's what i don't want to give up…and you know what? i've been asking myself the same question, is there someone who deserves me to make me want to give up my freedom? lol!…my soulmates are everywhere! btw, the book is on its way to taiwan…should reach you in a week's time.

clio, we're almost like twin souls…hmm…太奇妙了!

yanny, thanks for asking…hehe! now i know what to write for my next post…G-plan! look out for it!

 
At 6/15/2006 2:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks swooshi,i'll be waiting for the gift here in taiwan.
finally someone bring up G-plan, i also wanna know it, i forgot to ask you last time.
thanks for your efforts to share these things for us that is really very helpful to me.
just like fresh air around me anytime to cheer me up.
3Q

 
At 6/16/2006 10:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy this article. interesting!
I think i am tend to be independent more than dependent,and puls a bit contributive.
I also need much freedom .

Maybe we can in love with the Miss/Mr. Right, without losing our freedom or indenpendence. It's better in this way.

Eveything is changing at every moment in this relative world.
Changing is normal. We shoudn't /had better not lose ourself,no matter in love or in any situcation.

I do believe that only when we know how to love ourselves,will
we know how to love others.
Seeking a lover just want to fulfill the originally void/empty life is not good,not healthy and won't last long.
Except youself ,no one can fulfill you and know you.

I'm not sure if i all can carry out what i believe,but will try as best as i can..

thanks
cheers

 
At 6/16/2006 11:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Except youself ,no one can fulfill you and know you."
well said, wahaha.
i totally agree to your such a ponderable point.
i remembered some friends of mine told me that "one is lonely,yet two won't be."
really? i doubt.

 
At 6/16/2006 1:00 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

wahaha
do you realise that most of the folks from ph's blog are quite similar in character? we are all soul mates…
yes, do learn to accept yourself
but if i'm nothing, what is there to accept…?

one = two
right or wrong?

 
At 6/16/2006 3:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi yeelee :)

I read Ajahn Brahm's book sometime back. There's an article on true love. He wrote sth like if your wife runs away with the mailman, you shd be happy for her cos she's now happier right? That's real love, and it's rare.

I agree with his point. Anything else is probably attached love. And I dun think attached love is bad. It allows us to grow.

 
At 6/16/2006 3:50 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

wow! ch is also here!
this place is getting busier huh?…yahoo!

we should all have only one type of love in life and that is unconditional love…as taught by our dearest ajahn brahm…

keep sharing my friends…and thanks for sharing!

 
At 6/16/2006 8:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear!
ya..i've noticed that we all have many charactor in common,not only in ph's but also in lynn's n mk's .
Doubtless,ph's blog is the most one ....there must be something in this weird phenomenon.....

" if i'm nothing, what is there to accept…?"

oh master, that's a bit cheeeeem.
well,let me think about it..ummm..

well..What i have to accept is just "to realize i am nothing and nothing is unacceptable."

one = two ? wrong
well..One is not equal to two,but they are " 不二".(i dunno this english word)


Too much words and spit on this blog today!

 
At 6/18/2006 11:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi hi,

guniang is back online =)

this thing about "us" vs "you or I" in a r/ship is something that the gurus have been expounding for years. to put in practice in every day life is seemingly challenging!

my very good buddy once told me - that when you are in love, you cannot look at the things you do to keep the relationship strong as SACRIFICES, but as actions to build a better future together.

the moment you think that you are giving up something of yours (eg. freedom) - it is already the wrong mind set.

everyday - i am learning how to love better =P

 
At 6/19/2006 12:53 am, Blogger yeelee said...

welcome back guniang!
glad to hear you're learning to love better everyday
enjoy the happiness while you do that!

honestly, i think whatever i've shared here are theoretically correct but in reality, things will be very different…well, let's see if my G-plan wants me to learn more about love in this life…hehe!

 
At 6/26/2006 9:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Swooshi,
Thanks so much for sharing! It really got me think.
“Ignorance with love is better than knowledge without it.”I totally agree, and I feel the same as you.However,I can't agree with "to love is to desire something one lacks" Everyone needs love even if they don't lack anything.

“Being in love is not finding a perfect person but finding an imperfect person perfect.” Very well said.

I'd love to think I'm a contributive lover, but I'm far from perfect, so I'll continue to work on it, even though I don't have anyone in life right now.

Freebird

 
At 6/26/2006 9:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Swooshi,
I'm pretty sure if you meet the right person, your freedom won't be an issue, you'll think differently, in terms of 'us', not 'me'. Also, if he truly loves you, he'll know how much freedom means to you and do things accordingly. Trust me, you'll get another kind of freedom when you're in a relationship.:)

Wow, unconditional love, that's what Bible tells us too. Sadly we all fall short as humans, nobody can completely love unconditionally. But definitely that should be our goal, and we need to work towards it every day.

" if i'm nothing, what is there to accept…?" You got me there, Swooshi. Nobody's nothing, right?

Freebird

 
At 6/26/2006 9:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guniang,

"the moment you think that you are giving up something of yours (eg. freedom) - it is already the wrong mind set." Very well said, I can't agree more.

Freebird

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger