Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Biggest Thing in the World

This is another very meaningful story of Ajahn Brahm that I would like to share. It’s a true story.

One day, a teacher asked her class of five year olds what they think is the biggest thing in the world. A little girl answered, “My daddy”. A boy said “An elephant.” Another one said “A mountain.” What would your have said? Think about it.

A little girl suddenly told the class, “My eye is the biggest thing in the world.” Everyone was stunned by her answer, the kids couldn’t understand, even the teacher was perplexed so she asked the girl why she gave that answer. The little girl went on to explain, “Well, my eye can see my daddy, the elephant and I can also see the mountain and a lot of other things as well. If they can all fit into my eye, it must be the biggest thing in the world.”

Amazing right? A young wise kid.

Ajahn Brahm says wisdom is not learning but seeing clearly. He also added that it is not our eye but our mind that is the biggest thing in the world. He said: “Your mind can see all that your eye can see, and it can see more that is supplied through your imagination. It can also know sounds, which your eye can never see, and know touch, both real and made of dream stuff. Your mind can also know what lies outside your five senses. Because everything that can be known can fit into your mind, your mind must be the largest thing in the world. The mind contains all.”

So friends, are you all seeing clearly now with your mind?

Adapted from ‘Opening The Door of Your Heart’ by Ajahn Brahm. Any friend who wants a copy of this book, just let me know, it’ll be my special gift to you.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 9:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning my zen master. I am learning bit by bit about zen from you. Keep it coming but do get enough rest.

 
At 6/13/2006 10:32 am, Blogger yeelee said...

good morning to all my friends

dimwit…dove eyes? from the world cup huh?
me too! hehe!

think simple…用心就對了!mind = 心

yanny…cannot call me zen master lah, my zen friends will knock me on my head…haha! i was up watching football so i posted at the same time…as usual…multi-tasking!

 
At 6/13/2006 3:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think even now i still be not able to come up with such a wise answer like that.
maybe i will answer the Internet, yet i must use my eyes to see it, how silly i am ,ha ha.
yes, i has been learning alot through your blog.
i definitely log on your blog every day to read the articles you posted.
thanks for sharing another inspiring story with us again.
btw, could you send me a copy of this book as a special gift to me?
you know, i am in taiwan.

 
At 6/13/2006 7:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a somewhat similar one which I find it very meaningful too.

Seven Wonders of the World

A group of students were asked to list names of the "Seven Wonders of the World." Though there were some disagreements, the following received the most votes:

1-The Pyramids, Egypt
2-Taj Mahal , India
3-Machu Picchu, Peru
4-Colossus of Rhodes, Greek
5-Mausoleum, Turkey
6-Angkor Wat, Cambodia
7-The Great Wall, China

While gathering the votes, the teacher noted that one student had not finished her paper yet. So she asked the girl if she was having trouble with her list. The girl replied, "Yes, a little. I couldn't quite make up my mind because there were so many." The teacher said, "Well, tell us what you have, and maybe we can help.

" The girl hesitated, then read, "I think the 'Seven Wonders of the World' are:

1-To see
2-To hear
3-To touch
4-To taste
5-To feel
6-To laugh
7-To love."

The room was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop.
The things we overlook as simple and ordinary and that we take for granted are truly wondrous!

 
At 6/13/2006 11:24 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

wow! cottontail also got story to share…very good! that's what we should do here…
sometimes children really can teach adults some lessons in life…yes, never under estimate them!

tacobee, i've emailed you…check it out!

 
At 6/14/2006 2:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm
an adult just like me always think too much for work or play, seems busy all the time for whom or for what?
no wonder sometimes i feel tired doing anything,i think i must learn being simple.

 
At 6/14/2006 4:16 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

tacobee, you are wrong. don't think simple
just don't think, only do it!

 
At 6/14/2006 7:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i got it.3Q
time for dinner,see you later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger