Sunday, May 07, 2006

Election Post-mortem

Much as I’m not interested in our boring politics, I did tune-in to the TV for the election results last night. I was still awake writing my post for my blog so I might as well catch the election results live on TV.

I must say I was truly amazed at the speed that the results were released. Have to give it to our civil servants for being so super efficient. A round of applause to those who willingly or unwillingly helped out at the polling stations from 8am to 8pm. Hope those folks get a day off in lieu of their duties. JC, hope you didn’t get any migraine from having to direct all those very 'chuan' (tiring) aunties and uncles to the polling booths!

While I was writing my blog, I was also online chatting with Mrs J. As the results were made known, we were discussing some of the candidates' chances. I kind of expected Mr Low and Mr Chiam to secure their seats. The only one I had doubts was Mr S Chia. Frankly, he only had himself to blame for his lost. Politics is dirty but anyone interested in politics is not allowed to own any dirty laundry, not even a mildly stained piece of hanky! He may be a liberal who doesn't think much of his hanky-panky activities but all those ah pek, ah mah, ah chek and ah soh will not tolerate them, that 's for sure. But despite his bad publicity, I felt he did get a pretty decent share of votes.

Another seat I was watching closely was the one contested by a certain Dr Poh but it was a total letdown! AP Ho must have worked very hard this time round to regain the trust of his grassroots! I can always remember his pale face at the last election. It’s good to shake some of these politicians out of their high and mighty chair sometimes.

The biggest surprise of the day was the Aljunied GRC results. With an experienced and much respected Minister heading that team, I was shocked that they won by such a slim margin only. This should be a big lesson and warning sign for the folks in white, don’t take voters for granted. You never know when your people will swing the votes against you. I’m kind of concerned about this kind of results. It shows that people in general do not have as much faith as before for the ruling party. If Lee junior and his team would like to have a smoother journey through their political career, I hope they do pay attention to what the people are unhappy about. I heard from my mum that even those faithful HDB dwellers are beginning to think the people in white attire need to be checked. I would definitely want to sit up and make sure I hear all the grouses, whether I like them or not.

As for the opposing camps, I didn’t listen to what they had to say throughout the campaign. But somehow from the gist of the headlines in the papers, they just did not seem to raise any major convincing issues. But I hope these people don’t get disheartened. If they really are putting in their effort for the sake of their fellow citizens as well as to make our country a better place to live in, keep working hard, keep trying and hopefully, they can sneak a couple of other seats from the folks in white at the next election, especially the lady by the name of Sylvia.

I’m more than glad our politics is boring because it means generally we are very much contented with what we have. That’s my major concern. Peace!

2 Comments:

At 5/09/2006 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms H,
Thanks for the concern. Lucky for me, not headache on polling day but it's very tiring standing the whole day directing the people.
Not very eventful though, the voter just stroll in casually, no big crowd coming in suddenly.
But we have people already "Q"ing outstide even at 7.30am, so early.
Saw the actress Lina Ng at my polling station, actually didn't notice her until my co-worker mentioned. She's pregnant again!
Anyway, it's just another tiring working day for me.
JC

 
At 7/04/2006 10:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger