Sunday, April 30, 2006

Election Fever

I’ve been a little pre-occupied with my other ‘interest’ recently. Have been so busy that I’ve not even been reading the newspapers nor watching TV except for a couple of soccer matches! AND I’ve not been chatting much online too! So naturally, I have not been thinking very hard too about what to write on my blog. Yup! I did not post anything yesterday. Sorry if I disappointed some of you.

But today, I’ve got something to talk about. I felt I just had to write about the forthcoming election in Singapore. I see so many posters, flyers, newsletters everywhere in my house, around my estate. I must say something!

The incumbent PAP team in my estate is facing the challenge from an opposition party…now is that SDP or SDA? Hmmm…my brother says it’s the SDA. Whatever. Anyway, when I saw the faces of their candidates on the poster, I told myself, cannot make it lah, please! Ok, maybe it’s not fair for me to 以貌取人 (judge a book by it’s cover). But honestly, my MPs have been doing a good job at my estate so why would I want to take the risk of changing to another team of untested opposition MPs?

My current MPs have been managing my estate so well maintaining its cleanliness, upgrading our housing, improving our parks and recreational amenities so regularly. The footpath at the park where I go for my jogs, they just re-surfaced it. My senior citizen mum has also been so pampered and kept busy by the grassroots leaders, attending numerous parties, posh dinners and outings week after week at highly subsidised rates. What more do I want to ask for? I’ve got complaints about some of my neighbours but not my MPs!

When I was younger, I used to be very unhappy with our ruling party. I felt we were so stifled, so controlled. We were being treated like kids and led by our nose all the time. So when I had to vote then, I would spoil my votes, just to get my point across. But in recent years, I do really think about who I want to take care of me and my estate. I appreciate people’s effort, not sure if it’s the MPs’ or the grassroots’ but they are in this together so I show my support and appreciation by voting for them. So you people know who I’m voting this time. Shhhhh...my vote is a secret...so don’t say to anyone ok?

Oh ya...a friend has told me she’s so keen to listen to these candidates at the rallies. For me, most of these rallies are opportunities for jesting and poking at each other’s mistakes. A lot of empty promises too from both sides. I think more time could be spent by these candidates through genuine, sincere actions we can see for ourselves rather than just shouting them out at rallies.

The above is just my personal opinion and may not be applicable to all political candidates. I no longer think politics interest me. I just want peace and harmony in my country. Oh...if any political party continues to want to give me some money before an election, I don’t mind receiving those extra cash! :))

1 Comments:

At 7/04/2006 10:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger