Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I’m Still Learning My English

I mentioned yesterday about how impressed I was with the talents of SF fans. Well, two versions of Saving Face sequel are currently being written by fans. An English version was started by a Vietnamese American fan a while back. A Chinese version has recently been churned out by a Taiwanese fan. As a fellow SF fan, I feel so thrilled and fortunate that there are people willing to spend time writing sequels to a movie I’m so crazy about. These people really surprise me with the scripts they come up with! What imagination they have! Our kids here should learn from these people.

To help contribute to the SF community, I’ve started translating the Taiwanese version into English for those fans who don’t read Chinese. Unfortunately, my Chinese grammar is so bad, I don’t dare attempt to translate the English version into Chinese for the fans.

When I first started translating, I felt a little stressed trying to get the writer’s idea across as close as possible in English. But as I progressed, surprisingly, the task got easier and hey, I was enjoying my task!

You guys are probably thinking I’m mad to be wasting my time on such things but surprise, surprise! With this new assignment, I find that I am actually learning Chinese as well as brushing up on my English. I’ve been checking through my pile of dictionaries, English, Chinese, English to Chinese, Chinese to English…I think my English vocabulary is really improving! Words that I wasn’t sure about in the past, now I’m more certain after checking their meanings in the dictionary. Words that I know but not sure how to apply, now I’m using them in the script. Isn’t that great?

The Chinese saying 活到老学到老 is so true. I always felt my English needs improving and now I am given the opportunity to do so! A bit strange kind of G-plan but it still is my G-plan!

Lastly, if you have been wondering about those strange outbursts by a friend in the shoutbox? This friend seems to be very supportive of the writer from her home country. She got upset when I shared with her there’s now a competition going on. A competition I felt will bring out the best between the writers. I also mentioned the first version had too many sexual urges which I didn’t like and could not understand so I kind of preferred the Taiwan version which was closer to a continuation of the original script by Alice Wu. Well, she felt I was talking behind other people’s back so I repeated my comments in the writer’s blog. Hope she’s happy about it now. Like I say, no need for me to lie. If I’ve said it, it has to be the truth. I don’t believe nor practise paying lip service to people.

Whether I eat mangoes or oranges, I think if I’m the one eating them and putting them in my stomach, I should have the right to say which I prefer. The truth is, I like mangoes but that does not mean I can’t eat oranges, right? And by eating oranges I’m being unfaithful to my mangoes? That would be funny, very funny…

5 Comments:

At 4/26/2006 12:47 pm, Blogger bbmag said...

hey... found your blog via tiffany's blog links...

have been visiting your blog on and off, kindda like the a-bit-fast-and-furious writing style in some of your blog posts, though i must confess i ain't familiar with a few of the things you blog about.

anyhow, just wanna share i totally understand what you've said about translation. me too me too, been doing a bit of translation since march 2004... and through the translation, my command of both english and especially chinese has improved! and... my GK has improved too :)

 
At 4/26/2006 1:27 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

fast-and-furious style huh? hmmm....?

good to know u've been visiting my blog. not quite the korean drama fans kind of blog i'm afraid! but ya, i'm a Saving Face fan!

i just learnt the taiwan scriptwriter for SF2 has decided to end her blog so i may not get to translate anymore. she mentioned she didn't want to offend some SF fans.

well, sometimes people give nasty comments and do get the blogger upset but hey, if it's her blog, she can and should write what she wants!

dat's wat i wld say abt my blog. anyone not happy with wat i write? then dun read lor!

 
At 4/27/2006 2:45 am, Blogger bbmag said...

haiyo... life is more than just k-dramas... so surprise surprise, i do read blogs that are totally unrelated to byj, you know :p

 
At 4/27/2006 2:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to comment about this "competition" thingy...

Reminds me of Ajahn Brahm's story about a couple in a forest arguing whether a bird they saw was a chicken or a duck. At the end of the day - does it really matter? Is it worth upsetting pple around us by insisting if it is a chicken or duck? So what if one "wins" the argument?

At the end of the day, one is but consoling one's own ego =P and very often at the expense of harmony.

So, which version is "better"? Firstly, it's subjective. Secondly, does it really matter? =P

 
At 7/21/2006 11:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger