Saturday, April 15, 2006

Three Important Questions in Life

When is the most important time?
Who is the most important person?
What is the most important thing?


I heard this during one of Ajahn Brahm's public talks so I’m sharing it now.

Our day-to-day living is so hectic, so full of stress that we often get so muddle-headed, we lose track of what we’re thinking and lose sight of what we’re doing. These three great questions will jolt us out of our daydreaming, blindness and bring us back to reality.

When is the most important time?

Now. That’s the most important time of our lives. What has happened in the past is all gone. Nothing can be done to change that, no matter how hard you try. Whether it was a happy past you liked so much and want to keep with you forever, it’s all gone the moment it happened. If it was a sad and unhappy past that you hated and never want to keep with you, that is also all gone the moment it happened. So put it down, it’s all gone.

And what is going to happen in the future, we are never sure. In fact, we may never even know because no one knows if we will live beyond today, this moment. So dreaming of the future is also not wise. We must constantly remind ourselves to live in the present moment, now. Enjoy the now, treasure the now.

Who is the most important person?

You and the person you are with now. As we never know what is going to happen in the future, we must treasure and appreciate the person we are with right now, ourselves included. I always believe everyone of us is cosmically connected to be existing on this earth together so we must learn to accept every single person we come into contact with, even those strangers on the streets we don’t know. By making the person next to you the most important person at that moment, you will learn to be more tolerant, accepting.

What is the most important thing in life?

To love and care for the person you are with that moment. That’s the most important thing in life. We must learn to focus on the person we are with right now. Very often, we may be talking and listening to each other but our minds are actually dreaming away in some faraway lands. That’s rude! I’m also guilty of doing that all the time. We must learn to focus and give our entire attention to the person we are with that very moment. Only then we are sincere.

So people, don’t be with your partner and yet let your eyes and mind stray to the gorgeous girl or ‘帥’chap that just walked past. Remind yourself to give your 100% attention to the person you are with. This is a good way to help people maintain healthy, loving relationships.

Now I’m more conscious of my thoughts, I constantly tell myself not to have negative thoughts of the people around me. The person sitting next to me on the train is digging his nose and it irks me but I watch my thought and I let it pass. The person in front of me in a queue is smoking and irritating me. I also watch that thought and let it pass. Yes, the irritation, the opinion, still pops up but I try not to cling to it. I am learning to let it pass because he is the most important person at that moment and there’s a reason why I met him .

Love and care for the person you are with now, you yourself included!

ps: People, please note that Ajahn Brahm didn’t say all the above! I did. He explained the 3 questions differently. I just contemplate on them and applied it to my own situation.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4/15/2006 1:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learn new words: hectic and muddle-headed. Those are exactly for me.
Important time: i just realize that as u say, NOW. I know that it is hard for me to put either happy or sad past down, but i try and try hard.
Important person: thx for knocking on my dimwit head, MY GF and me. I did think that i was born in the wrong time, wrong place, wrong body hehe. but now i got myself, being loved by soulmate, my loving GF.
U dun know wat u got until u lost it. I been there, done that, heheh. I will work hard to get her back.
Important thing: TO LOVE AND CARE FOR MY GF. Yeah, i did think abt someone else at the time i was holding her in my arms. It freaked me out also, so abjected, cold-blooded. But from now on, i will be with her with all my mind, eyes, ears and hands hahah.
Yes, Teacher Yee Lee, please keep knocking on my blindness.
Thx for the hidden msg. Xie Xie Laoshi.hahha
Dimwit

 
At 4/15/2006 2:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dun know wat the chinese word in there mean, next to the "girl", hehe but it look attractive heheheheh

 
At 4/16/2006 12:16 am, Blogger yeelee said...

gd that u r awaken but the journey is tough, and will get rougher as u progress. sure u're prepared for it?

 
At 4/16/2006 9:28 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

well, ‘帥’can be used to describe ur brother...so wat do u think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger