Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Raffles Girls’ Secondary School

I was asking a friend last night what else can I write to make my blog more interesting. Suddenly today, I realised I’ve not talked about my alma mater yet! My RGS friends will accuse me of lying if I don’t start writing now! Lure them here to read my blog then don’t see anything on RGS, what is this?

Ok people, today I’ll just write a little introduction. Slowly lah! I’ve not scanned all my pictures yet so got to do this in stages...

RGS - Part 1

One of the best times of my life has got to be the four years of secondary school life in RGS. How fortunate I was to have made it to this great school despite scoring average PSLE results in RGPS. To be honest, at 12 years of age, I didn‘t know what it meant to be able to make it to a school with a history dating back to 1880. But the moment a student enters RGS’ school gates, never will she forget she was part of this proud tradition.

I remember clearly we were made to learn the school song right on the day of our orientation, even before we had purchased our school books and uniform. All of us were there in either our primary school uniforms or home clothes. The school choir was assembled in the hall to help us learn the school song then and there.

Just in case many of you Rafflesians can’t remember the entire school song, I’m putting it here to help refresh your memory. Let’s all sing it together one more time. Stand up and sing it with pride please!

RGS School Song

From high olympus flows to us a glory
On us the sacred fire descends
Rise, sister rise, the world is all before ye
Fear not to grasp what fortune sends

Chorus:
Sisters in learning and sisters at heart
Life lies before us, here’s luck to the start

A little while the sun shines high above us
And youth’s elixir fills our veins
The magic fire that moves the gods to love us
The fire by which the will attains

So heart to heart we’ll scale the heights of learning
No mean desire our days shall shame
Whole-hearted true, with pride and ardour burning
On, sisters, on to life and fame.


Filiae Melioris Aevi - Daughters of a Better Age
Did you Rafflesians remember those words?

I was rummaging through my boxes for old pictures and I found the following lyrics in the programme for ‘An Evening of Music’. Justina Nathan was the head prefect then and compere for the concert. I really got goosebumps when I read it!


My gosh! The message was right there so long ago but I was so blind then, I see it only now...Talk about G-plans! Well, it’s never too late! Life is truly amazing isn’t it?

2 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 11:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

 
At 4/21/2013 2:52 pm, Blogger Dot said...

Hi, guess what! I was searching for lyrics to the RGS school song and I chanced upon your blog. I am from the class of '79!!! I love the school song and today I had a revelation that it is this that shapes who RGS girls are! High achievers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger