Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006 in Retrospect and Resolutions for 2007

Another year has passed. As opposed to the teaching of Zen to live in the now, I would like to be retrospective and reflect on the happenings in the last 12 months because it has been a pretty unusual year for me. I stumbled accidentally upon a movie and a couple of related blogs which changed my otherwise fast becoming mundane life. Another highlight was becoming a blogger which surprised myself as well as my friends.

The biggest reward for me in 2006 has to be the many new friends I got to know through the blogs. I’m sure as at now, many people are still sceptical about me making friends through the internet. But I assure you that so far, 99% of the people I’ve met online are sincere, genuine friends and mostly mature, thinking intellects. I got to know friends from Taiwan, US, Vietnam, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Canada, Singapore as well as Thailand. From online friends, quite a number are now my real life friends. Some of you have become so close to me, you probably know more about me than friends whom have known me for decades. I have my G-plan to thank for providing me the opportunity to become acquainted with you wonderful people. It has been most interesting to be able to share and discuss so many issues relating to life with you. I’ve already met up with some of you in person and look forward to meeting more in time to come.

I followed the footsteps of Tiffany and started a blog with the objective of observing my thoughts and to let a few close friends around me know what’s on my mind. I’ve never written much in my life except academic essays so to post 136 times on my blog from March till December was definitely an amazing feat for me! I never really expected anyone to be interested in reading my ramblings but was I surprised when I found out that friends do read my blog. Umm…I do know that some of you just enjoy viewing the pictures I posted but that’s ok. I like my pictures too! My dear cousins, if you’re reading this, I never knew until recently that you have been reading my blog as well. How about giving me a shout sometimes huh?

I’ve read some good books in the last 12 months and the most interesting book has to be The Journey of the Soul by Peter Richelieu. I’m quite reluctant to loan the book out to anyone because its too precious to me! Gee…I’m supposed to practise non-attachment yet I’m clinging on to this book…hmmm. Anyway, I would like to read it again and again so anyone who’s interested in the book, please try to get hold of your own copy. Come to me only as a last resort ok? I will continue to be on the lookout for books with good teachings and will share them on the blog as I’ve done in the last year.

Ok, enough on my cyber life. 2006 has also been a challenging year for me and my fellow volunteers at CDAC. I was ambitious and took on kids from P4 right up to Sec 1. Yes, it was a stressful and frustrating year coordinating the programme as we were not quite prepared to tackle the different standards, especially the Sec 1s. In addition, we had to deal with an unexpected number of social issues. I then took on more challenges by accepting the pair of twins with learning difficulties into the programme. Despite all the frustrations, we managed to see through the whole year’s programme and to see one of the twins making it to Sec 1 must have been the biggest achievement for us. As always, I wished we could have done more for all the kids but there’s only that much we can do as volunteers. Several volunteers have already indicated their intention to step down. As for me, it will all depend on the progress of my retirement career plan.

I’ve never made any serious new year resolutions as I don’t think I can keep them. But this year, I shall be mindful and attempt to make a handful. Well, most of them are just a continuation of what I’ve been doing in the last one or two years so hopefully they won’t be that difficult to achieve. What are they?

One, to eat well. Although I’m more of a herbivore in the last few years, I hope to eat a more balanced vegetarian diet. I still love my multi-grain bread dipped into olive oil and my brown rice but I would like to remind myself to eat more greens and fruit this year.

Two, I hope I can maintain my exercise routine of jogging 4.2km on alternate days. I did become lazy, slept late and skipped some days, especially towards the end of the year. I hope to be more disciplined, minimise the number of late nights so that I can get up early for my jogs. I’ve jogged twice already since the beginning of the year so it’s a good start.

Three, I’m not meditating as well as I did when I was attending KK Tan’s class so I hope to put more effort into my meditation practice, perhaps even attend one or two retreats this year.

Four, I want to work on a retirement career plan. This is the most challenging new year resolution. I’ve shared it with some of you so if you know what my plans are, do assist me by giving me a nudge if I’m not working hard enough on it.

ps: 2006 ended on a high note with a rare RGS gathering at Irene’s place. It started slowly with just a handful of us but as the night progressed, more people joined in. And when we have a DPP, two seow pohs and a semi-high hairstylist amongst us, there’s bound to be a lot of laughter which must have shocked Irene’s mum and daughter…hehehe! The next gathering shall be CNY at Rajah Court…yippee!

6 Comments:

At 1/04/2007 12:48 am, Blogger tiffany said...

YL old friend,

a) I'm glad you found out that good freinds can be foudn via the internet. So now you can't laugh at me anymore.

b) I'm glad you started your blog as that did made me know you a little more.

I'm no zenist. hehe! And sometimes what you write is completely lost on me but that doesn't matter. Continue writing ok? ^^

Here's to a healthy, happy 2007. I need to work on my retirement plan too. What's yours hah?

 
At 1/04/2007 10:47 am, Blogger yeelee said...

a) no lah…i didn't laugh at you about the online friends…only laugh at the craze you people have for you-know-who. i'm sure that craze has died down very much by now

b) me too! keep writing pal! i realised how little i know about a friend whom i've known for years until recently

you lost about zen? i'm still finding my way ^_^

you need a retirement plan meh? you got hubby, i don't. he's your blue chip, just invest more time with him and you'll reap huge returns!

 
At 1/05/2007 6:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi master,

2006 was definitely the best yr so far to me. Met new friends, came to next level of love life, had fun, and most of all was the happiness.
Thx for being there for me. I hope that i do bring happiness to u. Always waiting for ur new posts.
Working on our 2007 plan and on. Yippe. Me

 
At 1/05/2007 8:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Swooshi,

2006 was a speacial year for me too. I'm grateful for all the friends i've met online as well. Thank you!

I hope 2007 will be a productive and fruitful year for you.

 
At 1/05/2007 12:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

記得2006年8月剛從新加坡回來的那個禮拜,約好學姐吃飯,在路上我一邊走一邊告訴她在新加坡遊玩一路的風景及趣事,挺著大肚的她笑得格外燦爛,似乎也感染了我的快樂,於是在紅燈亮起時,她開始好奇我這次出國的動機,向來我是個誠實的人,連我老媽都知道我是去找網友玩,對學姐當然也沒必要隱瞞,看著小綠人已經亮起,合該我們要繼續往前走,學姐的腳步卻停了下來,轉身帶著不可置信的眼神看著我,那一刻,想是這樣的行徑讓她感到瘋狂且疑惑吧!
但誰想到這樣的安排,帶給我有多不一樣的樂趣,原本每日應該上演的無聊劇情,從此跟我說再見,雖然生活變得忙碌起來,有時常睡眠不足,但精采的程度,讓我更努力的過著每一天,當然最期待的是下次的見面。
學姐說她的預產期將在農曆年前,是否現在就該告訴她,我又要去新加坡了,還是等她baby生下來再說呢......

 
At 1/05/2007 2:54 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

thank you friends, u've proven that not all online friends are out to 騙財騙色. let's continue to share ideologies and grow our minds together.

anonymous, it's been a good 2006 for u and it's about time to change your nick. how about 'tiwmid'?

freebird, it's been wonderful knowing u through our correspondences…keep writing! ^_^

tacobee, yes we need to be more disciplined and sleep early. i didn't chat last nite and got up at 6.30am for my jog this morning. 乖吧?
as for your trip, i think u better wait until the baby is born. 不要害你學姐驚嚇過度導致寶寶早產!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger