Saturday, December 23, 2006

Winter Solstice 冬至

今天是冬至,大家都多一歲了
祝大家生日快樂!

When I got up this morning, I momentarily forgot it was the festival. How can I? Have to help my mum make those glutinous rice balls every year on this occasion without fail. I remember during my younger days, I would be all grouchy and impatient when I had to help with such tasks. I’ll be asking myself, “Why me?” But nowadays, I look forward to doing it. Not sure why, perhaps it’s age.

I’ve grown to enjoy rolling those little white and pink coloured balls (湯圓) and chatting with her while we go about with the task. I asked her this morning the significance of this festival and she said we all become a year older on this day. Hmmm…is that it? I thought it had something to do with the end of a harvest or whatever. A lot of people don’t bother making 湯圓 anymore but buy the frozen ones from the supermarket. They come in different flavours and fillings like peanut, sesame paste, red bean etc. Those do taste quite good but to me, 冬至 is not 冬至 unless we make those pink and white balls ourselves! Hmm……I’m really becoming an oldie huh?

Anyway, I should say, happy belated birthday to everyone, since it’s already past 12 midnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger