Thursday, November 30, 2006

Visiting Europe Then and Now

Age is fast catching up on me so naturally my memory is not as good as before. After being home for five days, I better start writing about my Europe trip or I may forget what I saw and experienced.

But instead of just sharing the nice pictures I took at the four countries I visited, I hope to write about my personal feelings of these countries, the impressions they gave me and some peculiar or interesting things I’ve noticed (if there’s any).

This is my second trip to Europe. To be honest, it wasn’t as exciting as the first even though that was made years back in 1989 when I just completed my final year exams in the university.

Back then, going to Europe was a big thing and obviously very exciting so everything I experienced made me go ‘wow’. I was so mesmerised then by the arches of the Gothic cathedrals, their multi-coloured stained glass and the awesome paintings of renowned artists amazingly found on the ceilings of the cathedrals. I remember also being enchanted by the night scene of Paris, the ever-prominent Eiffel Tower and the magnificent Arc de Triomphe. All those historical structures and buildings made a big impression because many were designed and constructed centuries ago, way before Singapore was founded. I recall that even the pigeons looming on the square in Venice somehow fascinated me.

This time round, when I saw the cathedrals, I went “Hmmm…that’s nice.” No, didn’t get the ‘wow-wee’ feeling. When I saw the famous monuments of each country, I felt……umm…didn’t feel anything really…gee. Ok, ok… you guys must be thinking, there must at least be something that would make me excited and go ‘wowowow’. There was one, and that was the breathtaking view of Glencoe and the other snowy mountains in the Northern Highlands of Scotland. But unfortunately, we only made a day trip there and due to time constraints, we didn’t get the chance to stop and take in the cold cold air nor get a close-up shot of those beautiful mountains. We just drove pass the completely white mountains and I had to snap pictures as quickly as possible with my not-so-steady hand on my digital camera through the windows from within the mini-bus. Sob! Sob! Sob! But at least there was one excitement on the trip right? :)

Will write about my impressions of the countries next. Stay tuned.

ps: I think I’m more interested in nature at this point of my life. As such, the things I was looking forward to seeing were very different from those I saw on my first trip to Europe.

8 Comments:

At 11/30/2006 10:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, so great,thanks for your sharing(i didn't rush you,right? my teacher:P)

 
At 11/30/2006 6:56 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hehehe…thanks for not rushing me and allowing me to take my own sweet time to write
will be quite fast with my postings once i get into the mood to write again!
^_^

 
At 12/01/2006 1:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To see what you thought about....hmmm.....I hope never grow up , even i living in the earth 28 years ....hahahahahahaha...

sometimes i believe bad memory is good coz you always "wow" anything you interested althought you have seem this before!

怎麼說呢.....似乎人活著是為了追求像小孩子一樣好奇的心靈,是嗎?

如果是的話,我覺得這樣的人生是美好的!

 
At 12/01/2006 1:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Swooshi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I love travel writing a lot. Take your time. :-)

I've always been more interested in nature than other things. It wasn't until recent years that I took an interest in history, and wondered why I wasn't before because it's truly fascinating.

 
At 12/01/2006 1:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Clio,

I agree with you. It's good not to have a good memory sometimes. :-) And I believe it's very important to remain childlike at heart. To view the world with innocent eyes makes life much more colorful and exciting.

 
At 12/01/2006 1:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Swooshi,

Thanks for sharing pictures and thought of your trip.

This is how i feel, our knowledge is like a glass of water, if your glass is full you'll never get new knowledge o_0

Always bring empty glasses, yes! 1 is not enough...haha

Now waits for water aka knowledge to fill the glasses up...^_^ ahh..then you'll get the 'wow wow' feeling over and over again...haha

做老學到老....hehe...oops the sensitive '老' word

 
At 12/02/2006 1:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe not entirely related, but reminds me of a scene out of the movie - American Beauty...a plastic bag swirling in the wind and was almost beautiful and graceful in its own way.

Different things make us go "wow" over the years so I'm 100% with you on that. It is important to be able to keep the ability to go "wow" though....if not life would really be very sad.

I try to find my little "wows" in Singapore...like driving along Changi Coastal road (the one that I had to travel along almost everyday during my SQ days) is a "wow". Try it one day - it almost feels like you are in another country (if you ignore the planes and runway on one side of the road) = )

Guniang

 
At 12/02/2006 4:56 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

gee…i'm beginning to wonder if zen has made me indifferent to a lot of things…hmmm

honestly, after this trip, i kind of agree with what ajahn brahm said, that we don't need to travel far to see the world and famous sceneries as we can see them on tv, through videos… the time and money can be used on other more important things

during the journey, my eyes were drawn to green fields, autumn leaves, even barren trees…maybe there wasn't a need to go so far to see them

guniang, i know what u mean about the plastic bag in american beauty…i am fascinated by the way a flower or leave float in the air before they descend to the ground…that's what i lookout for when i'm in the park……the feeling is so wonderful, i can't use words to describe it

green fields whether here or in europe never fail to bring a smile to my face……they smile to me and i smile back! ^_^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger