Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sleep

I’ve always admired people who can sleep anytime, anywhere. You can count to five and some people can be snoozing already...amazing! Well, not me.

In the past, it would take a little tossing and turning before I could get into my dreamland. But since I took up meditation, I’ve made it a habit to sit for at least 15 minutes before I go to bed. Consciously or unconsciously, it has helped me to sleep. I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe my mind is really at rest before I sleep...like parking the harddisk that’s been working the whole day!

I’ve got several bad sleeping habits. First, I need seven hours of continuous sleep everyday. Without the full seven hours, I will be feeeling so lethargic and unproductive the entire day and my eyes, they will look as if their Garfield's. And today...I look like our cat friend!

I’ve not been sleeping sufficiently the last few days and I'm really feeling it. When my alarm clock went off this morning, I could literally feel the weight of my eyelids...so heavy and tired...even before I opened my eyes! Was I really feeling it or was it because I already calculated last night that I won’t get my seven hours so my brain straight away registered that when I woke this morning? I miss my 7-hour sleep...sigh!

I’m a light sleeper. Another bad sleeping habit. I wake up too easily and I can’t go back to sleep once I wake up. The slightest tap on the door or ‘click’ from the turning of the door knob and I will hear it and i’ll be wide awake. And then there are people who can sleep through all racket and noise! My brother and his wife are such fortunate people. Their alarm clock may go ‘clang...clang...clang!’ for a whole 10 minutes and they can continue sleeping through while me, a few doors away will hear it and wake up! Gee...can’t imagine if I were to marry someone who snores and he’s lying right next to me every night...No way!

A third bad habit. I may need seven hours of sleep but I also can’t over-sleep. If I sleep for more than nine hours, I will get a headache. So difficult right? Too little sleep, cannot. Too much sleep, also cannot! Why huh?

...I definitely need more sleep...I must sleep early tonight...

Today’s quote:
“Pleasure puts you to sleep and pain wakes you up. If you don't want to suffer, don't go to sleep.”
~ Nisargadatta Maharaj


Can don’t go to sleep meh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger