Wednesday, April 18, 2007

魚的嘴巴會痛 – Life Before Zen (1)

Many years ago, I had a passion for fishing. I remember fondly those days when I went to the Southern Islands, Changi and the Raffles Lighthouse on boat trips with my fishing buddies from Mindef. So much fun I had then with those national servicemen (NSmen) from my department. I was on such friendly terms with those guys that I even got ticked off by my boss for not drawing a line between an officer and NSmen. I remember being quite pissed off by his comment. Who was he to tell me how I should treat my friends. I guess that was probably one of the contributing factors for me resigning from that job.

On some Sundays when I didn’t have any company for fishing, I would go to Bedok Jetty by myself early in the morning before my family woke up. I had to sneak out of the house quietly with my fishing equipment because my dad disapproved of me fishing. I couldn’t comprehend then why he didn’t approve of fishing when he himself had been a fishing enthusiast when I was still a kid. He would travel all the way to Malaysia to fish and often return with huge ice box full of fish and squids.

Anyway, I loved fishing because it was one hobby that could take my mind off everything and I mean everything. The moment I took out my fishing tackles and cast the line into the sea, I forgot all my worries, fears, anger and frustrations in life. My focus would be entirely on the line, waiting patiently for the fish to take the bite. Whether I was using a rod or a hand-line, the moment I felt the fish bite the bait and tugged at the line, the adrenaline rush I got was amazing…beyond words. Until today I can still remember the feeling of the vibration of the line in my hand.

One day, I think about 10 years ago, a friend asked me, 『你去釣魚?魚的嘴巴會痛喔!』(“You go fishing? The fish’s mouth will hurt!”) At that point in time, I didn’t think much about what that friend said but strangely enough, I actually gave up fishing. I can’t remember exactly when it happened but it was probably six to eight years ago. The thought of the hook being lodged in the fish’s mouth or eye was just too unbearable. I visualised a hook being stuck in my mouth or eye and imagined the pain when the hook was being removed and that was it. No more fishing for me.

Some of you must be wondering, why mention about fishing? You see, after all these years, I still have my fishing equipment in my room and I face this dilemma, should I give them away to current fishing enthusiasts or should I throw them away? I spent quite a bit of money buying those stuff so throwing them away would be very wasteful. But if I gave them away, I would indirectly be responsible for more fish being hurt by the hooks.

What do you suggest?

14 Comments:

At 4/18/2007 11:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can still go fishing... but fish without the hook. You will still enjoy the quiet moment and the fishes don't get hurt. :)

 
At 4/18/2007 3:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good idea,sounds interesting,as姜太公釣魚,願者上鉤,yet you definitely let the fishes go,right?

 
At 4/19/2007 1:04 am, Blogger yeelee said...

hmm…you tell me not to place a hook on the line while astroboy says i should just unhook the fish and release it back into the water after i catch them
the fish can't feel the pain? really??
but i can feel their distress…^_^III

 
At 4/19/2007 9:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't think giving away your fishing equipment will result in more fish getting hurt, cuz those fish enthusiastic will still go fishing with or without your stuff.

 
At 4/19/2007 10:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont give away ur fishing equip, donate to museum since they hv age already. Hehe, and then change ur hobby from fishing to swim with fish, much nicer. That why u can communicate with fishes, kiss them and they will share with u that do they feel the pain or distress. If u catch it, cook it, dont release back to river, its not gonna help ur karma, hahahhahahah. Sorridi

 
At 4/19/2007 9:17 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

freebird has a point
and sorridi…you want me to kiss piranhas? O_o

 
At 4/22/2007 11:13 am, Blogger bestvalve said...

that sounds insteresting!! i have never go fishing before..maybe..i will try ! welcome to my blog!

 
At 4/22/2007 11:26 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

gee…i hope this post of mine isn't stimulating interest in hurting the fish in the sea
that's definitely not my intention
if anyone does want to try fishing, do it without the hook ok?
^_^III

 
At 4/23/2007 12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to go fishing when I was young. My fishhook just made of a simple stick and a string and I never got any fish.
one day, my teacher told class about karma of fishing:
A boy was throwing his fishhook to a river then the fishhook hook his mouth accidentally.
from that moment, I never think about fishing again.
Thanks heaven, that I never got any fish.

master, you may hide your equipments away and forget about it. ;)

 
At 4/23/2007 9:30 am, Blogger yeelee said...

k
i'm not just attached to things i want or need, i'm also attached to things i don't want or need
what i really should do is to learn to put it down

 
At 4/28/2007 1:32 am, Blogger Unknown said...

How about give your equipments to fish and say sorry to fish too??

it's not about waste money,it's about what you really want to do and need to do!

我舉個極端的例子哦!!!
有個販毒的人,突然有一天,他覺得賣毒給人是很不好的事,他決定收手不做這種事了,但是他手邊還剩很多存貨,如果以同樣的邏輯...

1. 我要把這些毒轉手送人呢?讓其他賣主可以從中獲利,不要浪費了!!!當初也是花好多錢進貨的呢...
2. 把這些東西丟了,讓誰也得不到它,這是會害人的!就算浪費錢

我們看到這裡的時候,就會比出來其中的差異,一個是殺魚,一個是殺人;一個是沒犯法,一個是有犯法,但...被傷害的不都是生命??

這是個很極端很極端的例子,但是更可以看出我們看得事情的盲點,不是嗎??

因因果果,果果因因...不可不慎!

 
At 4/28/2007 11:11 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

即空即有,非空非有
不正不反,即正即反
Clio 施主。於意云何?

 
At 4/29/2007 12:54 am, Blogger Unknown said...

ccc...

都有讀進去哦,真好!

人生終是一場夢,
空即有,有即空!
是空嗎?非空也...

我們都被『空』這個字給玩弄了,
以為空是空無,此意差矣...

空是一種處之泰然的寂靜!

處之泰然是了解了最初的原點,
而後,明心見性,了因果,
有所為,有所不為!

swooshi大師,此解可否?

 
At 4/29/2007 11:58 am, Blogger yeelee said...

Clio 施主
如是,如是

想要明心見性,就要做到信心清凈才能生出實相
只是這個信心清凈,談何容易啊!
無煩惱,無妄想之境界
凡夫暫且只能說…還遠囉!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger