Monday, March 19, 2007

You never know what you gonna get

I attended a training session for volunteers today. My alarm clock played me out so I got up late. But I wasn’t too flustered despite knowing that I’ll be late for the training because I assumed that the trainer, Mrs Chua will be teaching the same stuff she had taught us in the last few years.

By the time I got to the centre, the training had been in progress for about half an hour. Mrs Chua acknowledged me when I entered the room as she always does every year. Smilingly, she commented, “Why are you here again? You shouldn’t be here.” I waved to her and smiled back.

Another repetitive training session for me? It was not to be.

Mrs Chua anticipated that some of the all-faithful volunteers may turn up again for her training so she prepared some new materials to share with us. She taught us to access e-books from the National Library website to read to our kids. I am impressed that our library has links to not just e-books but animated and talking picture books which any kid will enjoy reading. Shame on this regular library user for not knowing we’ve got such good resources at just a few clicks away. If you want to access the e-books, you need to sign up for a digital library account at: www.nlb.gov.sg

Mrs Chua also shared an inspirational story for teachers. It’s called the Story of Teddy Stallard. If you’re interested in reading the story, here’s the link: http://www.teddystallardmovie.com/

Following Mrs Chua’s presentation, another fellow volunteer coordinator shared on how he manages and organises the activity sessions at his centre. I must say Koon Siong’s presentation was good. I was surprised and highly impressed by his detailed presentation. Picked up some useful pointers from him as well.

Forrest Gump was right, “Life is like a box of chocolates, You never know what you gonna get.”

My initial assumption about the training was wrong. I didn’t expect to learn so much today. I’m glad I turned up for the training…even though I was a little late.

3 Comments:

At 3/19/2007 12:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that quote from Forrest Gump, and i think u like it very mucho because u love chocolate, hehehe. We all assume thing wil be this way or that, but turn out wrong sometime and from that we learn.So to me, dont expect to get a raisin chocolate u want, it may be a dark chocolate. Hm but that dark chocolate fight bad cholesterol, so its good also. Hahhah

 
At 3/19/2007 1:38 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

you're superb. you read my mind
i know i don't like dark chocolate so i ask for raisin chocolates and expect to get raisin chocolates
but sometimes i still receive dark chocolates…>_<
is it ok if i don't eat dark chocolates? O_o

 
At 3/19/2007 2:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If u get dark chocolates, and dont want to eat them, just threw them to me, i'll eat all and give u more sweet chocolates. I like those bitter stuffs, they may make me healthier because they fight cholesterol. hahaha. Dark choco

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger