Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Time to Relook at Capital Punishment

Two days ago, I was quite stunned to learn from a post in a movie board (quite a strange place to get such info) that Singapore has the highest execution rate per capita in the world, with 70 hangings for a population of about 4 million. Did you know that this information is actually documented in Wikipedia? Gee……this small little island of ours is known for being number one in many things in the world but this is one record that I would not want to be proud of. Ok, we didn’t beat China in terms of total numbers but the ratio is still quite astounding to me.

I’m not a person who indulges in discussing contentious issues but since the execution of Saddam Hussein, I’ve been thinking hard on this matter. Isn’t it about time the world abolished capital punishment? What really do we gain out of taking a person’s life?

Most of the people whom were sent to the gallows in Singapore were either convicted of murder or drug trafficking. Can we bring back the life of the dead by hanging the murderers? Does hanging really appease the anger of the family members of the victim? Instead of having one sad family mourning the loss of a family member, we only cause another family to mourn and become just as sad. Silly isn’t it?

We all know that it is wrong to kill so why does the law allow the authorities to kill? Isn’t it ironical? The law prohibits anyone from causing harm to a fellow human being yet lawmakers continue to take away the lives of people who erred. Don’t they realise this causes great harm to the family members of the convict too? It’s already bad enough that these people have to live with the guilt and shame of their family member’s error. Why torment them further by taking the life of their loved one?

Drug traffickers will always be there as long as there's a demand for drugs. This is basic economics theory. Hanging a trafficker doesn’t stop the demand. Human beings will stoop to their lowest and find ways and means to get what they want in life as long as they have the urge for it. Education is still the best way to help the human race. We need to be awakened to realise that we must be responsible for our every action. What human beings need to help them grow is encouragement, not threats and fears.

Who doesn’t make mistakes in life? But what right has any human being to take the life of another? I would really hope to see a more forgiving society as we progress. Let us all learn to forgive, put down what has happened in the past and treasure the now.

ps: I’ve been a little serious with my thoughts lately so my posts may seem a bit more solemn than normal. Not sure why I’ve become so staid. Probably it's just a swing of moods or perhaps it's a growing awareness of the affliction I see around me. No, it's not PMS and Thuy, I’m quite sure it’s not early menopause…hehehe! The dark clouds will pass soon.

This morning on the train, a toddler with down syndrome gave me a big smile before she was pushed out of the train in a stroller. What a radiating smile. She definitely made my day! Life is so beautiful!

4 Comments:

At 2/06/2007 6:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi hi....just want you to know that I really feel good having a friend like you....sharing is a very very rare thing for me...cheers

Meow meow lion

 
At 2/06/2007 10:35 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hi lion!
you're always welcome in my “meow” world
it's my privilege to be able to share
that's the beauty of living, isn't it?
^_^

 
At 2/08/2007 11:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, master :)
I understood what you intended to point out about taking murder'life that couldn't change anything.
the victim wouldn't be alive by that execution.
but I think the law need to do that punishment to tell us this is the end for killing somebody.
and I used to hear that singapore's law is very strict and earnest. that's reason I would like to be there. :)

 
At 2/09/2007 10:52 am, Blogger yeelee said...

violence and hatred can never cease with more violence
it can only cease with forgiveness and love
i would prefer for s'pore to be known for its love-abiding citizens rather than law-abiding ones

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger