Tuesday, April 24, 2007

“Human Beings and Situations Require Deeper Thought”

I’ve not been visiting MK’s blog for a long time as that SF craze had died down aeons ago. As I was organising my browser bookmarks yesterday, I clicked on that blog again and was surprised that she actually posted about the Virginia Tech incident. I forgot that she was a former Hokie.

MK was saddened by the way people were generating stories about the gunman, saying things like “They knew it was him.” “They’d be surprised if it wasn’t him.” I too was disheartened when I read that the guy’s former classmate actually commented “Looking back, he fit the exact stereotype of what one would typically think of as a ‘school shooter’ – a loner, obsessed with violence, and serious personal problems."

What did the classmate mean by “a typical school shooter”? What kind of world are we living in if we really accept the labelling and existence of such a type of human being amongst us and not bother to do anything about it until something tragic has happened?

MK hasn’t changed much. She’s still the sensible and positively influential celebrity that I stumbled upon and admired a year ago. She said a prayer for her fellow Hokies and proposed that we should all spare a moment to say a blessing for those whom got killed or hurt in the incident. I felt really warm when I read these great words of hers on the blog:

“Human beings and situations require deeper thought than just the ordinary glance over. Everything in hindsight always seems 20/20, I know. I just hope we can learn something positive from this situation and I’m hopeful we will. Mostly, I wish the people of America would open their eyes to a ban on all guns.“

Kudos to Michelle. I can see why I still admire this celebrity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger