Monday, March 27, 2006

If I Have to Live in Another Country

If I have to live in another country, it has to be Thailand. Why? Here are my reasons:

1 I've been there so many times but I never get tired of the place.
2 I like Thais. They are generally polite, friendly and sincere.
3 Cost of living is low there.
4 There's so much to be discovered.
5 The entire country is linked by an efficient transportation system.
6 Lastly, I feel really at ease there.

Maybe I was a Thai in a previous life!

I go to Thailand almost every year, normally with friends or family members. But once, I ventured out of Bangkok city to Kanchanaburi and Ayuthaya, all on my own. I wasn't really confident I could do it but a friend whom always travelled on her own said it's perfectly safe and I should just do it and I did!

For the first time in my life, I travelled by myself. That was to be one of the best trips I've ever made. For once, I could plan my own itinerary and do what I want without having to check with anyone, wait for anyone. Without a travelling companion, I was forced to speak with the locals, seek their help and make friends with them. And Thais are basically very friendly and helpful people. Maybe I was lucky, the people I met were all so nice.

Travelling alone allowed me to see a different side of Thailand and learn more about its people and their culture. It was a truly challenging but rewarding experience.

I plan to go Siem Reap next month with my friends but it looks quite unlikely to materialise. So I will go Bangkok instead, with or without company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger