Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Matter of Choice

There's been a lot of debate recently over a stupid penal code in our legislation that the government refuses to abolish. The affected community has hinted that it is due to the influence of a particular group among the men in white who are of a certain religion. I personally feel that the act is a joke because so far, the law has not and will not take action against those who breach that act and yet our parliament chooses to keep this archaic law that dates back to our colonial days. If I’m not wrong, even the British have repealed this act.

Although the act doesn’t affect me, I do find it ironical that the Prime Minister and his predecessors have publicly said we have to be tolerant and accept this particular community and yet they cannot convince the parliament to abolish it. The entire world is progressing and yet our country chooses to be archaic and stand firm on this issue. Are we really building “a democratic society based on justice and equality so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation?” Where is the democracy when cabinet decisions seems to be biased. Moreover, this is a matter of choice among consenting adults.

Can some kind soul explain to our Prime Minister the meaning of equality, happiness and progress. He and some of the men in white have memorised our pledge and say them every year at the national day parade but obviously they have failed to understand the significance of those words.

Hmmmm…I fear the day when someone decides to add a legislation that prohibits me from eating durian because a certain group of men in white cannot and will not tolerate the smell of durian. Those who dislike the smell or taste of durian, you have the choice to stay away from it but this durian-lover die die must eat it lor! Don’t you dare bar me from eating my durians hor!

Whatever religions may advocate, I only believe there is only one true religion in this world and that is love…unconditional love for every living thing on this earth. For the affected community, don’t be disheartened, just carry on living the life that brings you happiness. As what venerable Sheng Yan has said, “不论大路或小路,只要是依靠自己的力量所走出来的路,就是成功的好路。” Regardless whether the road is big or small, as long as the road was created through your own effort, it is a successful good road.

There is an online petition to repeal that penal code. If you’re interested to sign it, click here Link.

5 Comments:

At 10/10/2007 3:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I hear L O V E? Where is love?

I support the law for prohibiting u from eating durian. Yeah, yeah! What you gonna do to me? Want a piece of me? Bc durian is heaty, not good for u, ahahaha.

Put law aside for moments, enjoy ur new Ipod, hehehhehe.

 
At 10/10/2007 6:27 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

i shall have my ipod and eat my durian as well
no one's gonna stop me
but i don't see monthong durians here
must wait till i visit K…hehe!

oh…btw, how can u eat frozen monthong
@_@ lol! hahahaha!

 
At 10/11/2007 5:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To anonymous,

Where is love?

It's everywhere. Hopefully one day you'll be able to see it. :-)

 
At 10/11/2007 9:04 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hey freebird,
have not seen u for a long time. where have u been? still gliding free in the sky huh? do visit me if u fly to my part of the world.
anonymous knows where to find love. in fact, in my opinion is too attached to love.
am i right, anonymous?

 
At 10/18/2007 5:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hmmmm…I fear the day when someone decides to add a legislation that prohibits me from eating durian because a certain group of men in white cannot and will not tolerate the smell of durian."

dun be surprised. we are already banned from chewing gums...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger