Thursday, July 26, 2007

Talking about comfort zones…

I’ve been talking about comfort zones…and dancing is definitely not within mine. My amygdala always tells me that I got two left feet and a stiff-like-a-log body so no way for me to be able to shake and boogie like the youths today. I’m so amazed that the youngsters are able to pick up dance moves, whether breakdance, hip-hop, lindy hop or indian dance, all in a jiffy and without any awkwardness.

My generation will agree with me that we’re less expressive than the youths today especially when it comes to such performing arts. Kids today not only can sing and dance, they enjoy performing it in front of an audience. Why? They are able to stretch their comfort zones wider than us I guess.

Me and several volunteers brought the cdac kids to a dance session organised by the YMCA youths last Saturday. I thought it was a rare opportunity for the kids to learn something different and yet have fun. Most of the kids did have fun just prancing around while they were taught three dances in one short afternoon. But one of our boys who was forced out of his comfort zone cried big time when a female volunteer wanted to partner him. What a shame! No one could pacify him, even when I tried to change his partner to one of our male volunteers. So I just let him sit on the floor and cry lor!

Here are some pictures and video I took at the event. I felt the youth leaders from YMCA were real spontaneous in leading the kids. They even gave two performances at the end and let the kids know that all of them were also shy when they first started learning how to dance. But over time, they’ve become more confident and even have the courage to perform in front of an audience. Everyone can become a superstar. What a great learning and sharing experience by the youths, for the youths!







Hindi Dance


Hip-hop - I think this was the youths’ favourite


One of the performances by the YMCA youths

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger