Friday, August 10, 2007

My First National Dog Walk

I attended my first ever National Dog Walk last Sunday at the West Coast Park…without a dog. Some of you must be wondering…Huh? No dog but went to a dog walk??? I know, I know, I don’t own a dog but my two ex-colleagues from MINDEF do. One brought a Jack Russell while the other brought a Shih Tzu. It was supposed to be a gathering as we’ve not met for 10 years because one of them works overseas. I know it’s a strange place to have a gathering but we all love dogs. I must say just walking with other people’s dogs and seeing the multi-varieties of dogs congregating together was also a lot of fun. The dogs came in all sorts of attire…t-shirts, dresses, scarves…some even wore shoes!

The walk wasn’t very long…I think only 1.5 or 2 km but it was kind of messy and some dogs got tired. My friend’s Shih Tzu decided to sprawl himself on the footpath at one point in time but fortunately, he spotted a dog he liked and kept following it, sniffing it’s backside. That attraction managed to keep him moving until the end point.

I was quite surprised that quite a number of dogs, even huge ones, were unleashed and allowed to run around freely at the end of the walk at the dog park but they were of course quite well-behaved and didn’t cause any problems. Some dogs did have “squabbles” at the event. The fat Corgis especially were the most quarrelsome. There were also a couple of “fights” but the owners were quick in breaking them up before any damage was done to the pedigree dogs. From my observation, the smaller dogs seemed to be more aggressive than the bigger ones. Hmmm…

I took some pictures at the event but it was tough trying to capture nice shots of moving animals so naturally I ended up with a lot of blur shots. Anyway, here they are…some of the 1000 dogs with their owners, relatives and friends at our National Day Dog Walk.













Lots of Golden Retrievers at the walk.
Dogs just love to smell each other.
My friend’s Jack Russell. It’s the first time I come across such a small and well-behaved Jack Russell. Her name is Buffy but my friend prefers to call her “Dog” O_o.
This is Scooby, the Shih Tzu. He wasn’t as cooperative as Buffy when I tried to take pictures.
My favourite dog of the day was this huge, white, fluffy, playful dog…a Siberian Samoyed.

3 Comments:

At 8/17/2007 12:22 am, Blogger tiffany said...

wooo... I love the doggy pics. ^^

You should get a dog too lah... You haven't had one for a long time.

 
At 8/17/2007 10:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a dog lover, i'm so jealous that so many dogs walking with you.
i thought you people don't like to keep pets because i never saw any dogs or cats in the street while i was in S'pore.
i'm wondering where do the owners hide their dogs?
your favorite dog,samoyed,how white it is!i can see its owner put how many efforts on it.
not easy to keep a white dog with fluffy hair.
if i could keep a dog i would pick up the one with short legs,Welsh Corgi(威爾斯柯基犬), very cute when it walking.

 
At 8/17/2007 12:44 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

i think i will keep a dog only if i get my own place. one nini is enough for now to keep me and my family entertained. for sure, i won't choose a guniang dog…a jack russell or siberian husky would be nice!

i never knew the corgi is popular here. i thought only queen elizabeth likes them. they are short, fat and extremely noisy…cute meh?

ohhh……the ugliest dog at the walk was the greyhound…skinny and hairless…super ugly lor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger