Thursday, September 27, 2007

煩惱是人想出來的 Suffering originates from the mind

I overheard a guy mention this on TV the other night 煩惱是人想出來的 (suffering originates from the mind). How true this is. My mind makes me think. Thinking makes me judge, compare, choose, decide. When I get what I want, I think I’m happy. When I don’t get what I want, I become unhappy and that leads to suffering.

A while back, when I had nothing to do, I became bored, my mind started to get restless causing me mental suffering. Last week, I had so much work to do, I didn’t really want to work so hard but the thought of earning extra money for my travelling plans made me push myself to do it. I suffered again…12 hours of work a day made me so tired mentally and physically. Why so much suffering? Because my mind told me it’s not what I want, I’m unhappy and suffering. What then do I want? I don’t really know. I only know what I don’t want.

Suffering originates from the mind but where does the mind originate from? Krishnamurti said “The self is a problem that thought cannot resolve.” So the answer is not to think? O_o

****************************************************

Thinker and Thought - J Krishnamurti
… a man who will understand the end of sorrow must understand this, must find, must go beyond this duality between the thinker and the thought, the experiencer and the experienced. That is, when there is a division between the observer and the observed, there is time, and therefore there is no ending of sorrow. Then, what is one to do? You understand the question? I see, within myself, the observer is always watching, judging, censoring, accepting, rejecting, disciplining, controlling, shaping. That observer, that thinker, is the result of thought, obviously. Thought is first; not the observer, not the thinker. If there was no thinking at all, there would be no observer, no thinker; then there would only be complete, total attention.

Book of Life - August 15th

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10/04/2007 5:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read a book which says that a native group was very shocked when they heard that we use our brain to think...

cos they "think" from their energy garden, Dan Tian!!! (ha... can imagine some of us would be shocked to hear that too ;p)

 
At 10/04/2007 9:50 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

very good solution indeed
i shall attempt to think with my dan tian
thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger