Sunday, November 11, 2007

Keeping silent is lethal

I’ve got a razor sharp tongue. Arguing and proving that “I am right” has always been my forte but recently, I noticed that I’m losing interest in arguing with people. In fact, I think I’m beginning to hate it when I am forced to argue with people.

I still attempt to voice my opinion when required but if the other person refutes it and starts to argue, I just have the tendency to keep quiet even when I know the other person’s argument is stupid and I can rebut it easily. I no longer get the adrenaline rush when people argue with me. The noise I have to make when I argue irks me. I detest that tone of voice. I seem to tell myself, “That person is not listening. I’m wasting my time talking.” Then I’ll just frown and keep real quiet.

But keeping quiet can be so lethal. When one is silent but the other person goes on and on with his argument, the person talking looks foolish because the more he talks, the more blunders he makes. The more you stir the water in the pond, the murkier the water becomes. It’s self-destructive.

I finally understand the meaning of ‘Silence is Golden’. I’m making a big statement when I keep quiet. It says “I do not agree but I’m not arguing.” Because there’s no point in arguing when the other person is not listening. Conversely, I can only truly listen to what others are saying when I’m not arguing.

Geee…I must have been a real idiot for loving argument so much in the past. Yeah…silence is golden because it can reflect the other person’s flaws.

4 Comments:

At 11/12/2007 12:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yest I was at kycl. It occurred to me that I need to keep myself curious and open to all the happenings in my mind. If I already have any opinion on sth, I won't be able to learn the lessons. Suddenly the story of the monk pouring tea on a filled cup comes to mind :( Similar experience to yours?

 
At 11/12/2007 1:08 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hahahaha…very similar. i always have the habit of bulldozing my way thru meetings but last week, i realised i parked my bulldozer by the side several times…hehe!
my cup is still quite full but it's not overflowing. shall we compete to see who can drink up the tea faster? ^_^

 
At 11/12/2007 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many things in my cup... :(
Pour away, will still fill up.

 
At 11/12/2007 4:35 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hmm…how about making a hole at the bottom of the cup, let it leak. but since the tea is already in the cup, i say we just enjoy it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger