Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Life Without Problems

A life without problems…that’s what I had been thinking about the last few days when my mind was full and cluttered. Well it still is a little cluttered now but I’m trying to sort out them out, get things organised.

Every now and then when my mind is occupied with work problems, cdac problems, personal problems…this wish for a life without problems will arise. But when my mind is clear, I know I won’t wish for that because that will make my mind lazy and weaken my will power. How will I ever learn and improve if there are no hindrances, no difficulties, no challenges in life, right?

Zen has taught me a bad situation is a good situation. Likewise, a good situation may turn out to be a bad situation. Today, I must contemplate hard on a clear mind…an intuition mind to tackle all situations, good or bad. Only then will I be able to wake up in the morning and tell myself…no good, no bad today…only like this.

“…Clear mind means intuition mind. Intuition means no subject, no object; inside and outside become one mind. If you keep this mind always, moment to moment, you can understand your correct opinion, your condition, and your situation.”

“If you attach to something, then you have luck, happiness, sadness, suffering — everything appears. If you don't attach, this is clear mind. Then there is no sadness, no happiness, no unhappiness — they all disappear. So if you attach to name and form, if you attach to words, then your mind is also moving. Don't attach to anything. Then your mind is enough. Then appearing, disappearing, whatever happens outside doesn't matter.”

“When you are doing something, just do it!”

Extracted from teachings of the late Zen Master Seung Sahn


Yeah…I’m going to try and just do it. Finish all my projects and go on that trip.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8/11/2006 12:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi yl, haven't visited yr blog for some time. Seems like many things happened in your life.

Wouldn't the very wish for clear mind or a life without problems be adding on another obstruction to clear mind?

Take care!
ch

 
At 8/11/2006 10:00 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hi ch
can't help it lah!
my mind keeps thinking, thinking, thinking
i must have signed a sacred contract full of 'challenges' for this life

 
At 8/12/2006 7:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi swooshi,

'Then appearing, disappearing, whatever happens outside doesn't matter.”

reminds me of ' 不以物喜不以己悲'

[If you attach to something, then you have luck, happiness, sadness, suffering — everything appears. ]

as humans, it's our nature to attach to ppl and things right? i understand why it may be better not to attach to anything, but all those things are what we live for right? we live to experience life, inluding happiness, sadness, suffering, troubles, etc. otherwise life will be boring. just my personal oppinion

 
At 8/13/2006 4:48 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

hi freebird,

nice to see you writing in chinese for the first time

my understanding so far:
happiness is just but happiness
sadness is just but sadness

human beings like to cling to a dualistic perspective (二元論)
that's how problems arise,
we are therefore the cause of our own mental suffering

is boring good or bad?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger