Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Do We Have the Right to Own an Animal?

We human have been keeping animals as pets for thousands of years. But has it occurred to you whether we really have the right to pluck these fellow living beings from their natural habitats and domesticate them? Now since this is an irreversible phenomenon, we must then do our best for these poor animals and be responsible when keeping them in our households.

Last year (correction, year before last), when my brother bought two rabbits for my nieces, my sixth sense told me the rabbits will not be at his house for long. True enough, after only a few weeks, one died and the other landed at my place. My sis-in-law was pregnant and the doctor said animal's fur was bad for her...yeah, right! It was a temporary arrangement but I knew that the rabbit's never going home. This rabbit has been with us for about a year and a half already. His name is Nini, a name my niece picked from a cartoon.
Above picture taken by my 4-yr-old niece

Ok, anyway, I always thought rabbits are silly pets to keep because they can't respond to human like cats and dogs do. But boy, was I wrong! I discovered that rabbits do respond...sometimes. I would let Nini out of his cage every morning for some exercise and food. After he finishes his food, he will be roaming the house, sometimes getting into trouble biting things he's not supposed to bite, like my new shoes, bags, wires! So when he gets real quiet and we don't know where he's hiding, I'll call out his name and guess what? He'll rush out of his hideout and hop towards me, Now isn't that amazing? Even rabbits know their names! Well, the truth is, this rabbit thinks I've got more food for him. :P

I would never have learnt so much about rabbits if not for a friend who owns 8 rabbits. She only had one or two in the beginning but ended up with so many because of some inhumane pet owners who abandoned these poor animals at parks, reservoirs etc. She and her fellow rabbit-loving friends are part of 'House Rabbit Society (Singapore)' or HRSS in short, a non-profit society that hopes to create greater awareness on the needs and welfare of rabbits. Anyone interested in owning a rabbit can try adopting one from the society instead of buying them from the shops.

Most poeple love animals but by playing with them doesn't qualify you as a good pet owner. You got to know how to love them, take care of them. It's never an easy task taking care of animals. Try clearing their poo, day after day, week after week, month after month. You have to do it till their dying day! So, having a pet should never be a short-term affair and definitely not decided impulsively just because the animal looked "sooooo cute!"

I got to go home early tonight to clear Nini's poo box!

For more info on HRSS, visit their website at: htpp://www.hrss.net

8 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 11:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't rabbits wonderful?

I think they are very Zen....
Tired Sleep
Hungry Eat
Boring Play

And Nini said: "There was nothing written on your new shoes, bags, wire that it is not for biting"... So there he goes gnawing

Isn't this what Zen says: "To understand Zen, read between the lines, where it doesn't say anything." lol

And "It is the empty space inside the bowl that is useful." Nini said: "Please drop more pellets into the empty space inside his bowl..." Got it?

 
At 3/22/2006 11:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. my friend asked, was your niece trying to take pic for Hello Kitty or the Rabbits? Who is the subject who is the object? hahahhah.....

 
At 3/22/2006 12:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't rabbits wonderful?

I think they are very Zen....
Tired Sleep
Hungry Eat
Boring Play

And Nini said: "There was nothing written on your new shoes, bags, wire that it is not for biting"... So there he goes gnawing

Isn't this what Zen says: "To understand Zen, read between the lines, where it doesn't say anything." lol

And "It is the empty space inside the bowl that is useful." Nini said: "Please drop more pellets into the empty space inside his bowl..." Got it?

 
At 3/22/2006 12:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. my friend asked, was your niece trying to take pic for Hello Kitty or the Rabbits? Who is the subject who is the object? hahahhah.....

 
At 3/22/2006 2:23 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

@anonymous

Yes, rabbits are wonderful.

And my Nini says, "Hungry eat, not hungry also eat. Only do it!"

 
At 3/22/2006 2:27 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3/22/2006 2:44 pm, Blogger yeelee said...

@anonymous

As to the pix taken by my niece, there's no subject, there's no object. What do you see? Only this...no inside, no outside...only what you see.

 
At 6/06/2006 10:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

all you talk is too philosophic, that's too difficult for me to understand, i only know the rabit is cute and seems like eating all the time.
but never know it will response to our call.
that's news to me, interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger