Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Only Don't Know

One of the first things that stumped me in my contact with Zen was this seemingly crazy phrase "only don't know" used by Zen masters. How on earth am I supposed to function normally on this earth if I keep telling myself don't know. I am human, I have a brain that knows and works. So how not to know? How am I not to know when I know? You can go crazy thinking about it.

I was pondering over it so much, I tried imagining having a don't know mind. I stopped my thinking and guess what? My mind went blank! Absolutely blank! Now...is that what 'don't know' is all about? I'm not sure about it but the moment my mind went blank, I observed a certain stillness I've never experienced before. My mind was at a standstill, I began to notice my breathing. It was so quiet, peaceful, I realised I was enjoying it. Now is that it? Well, I certainly hope so.

NOW, whenever I have too much on my mind, I practise my version of 'don't know mind', stop all thinking and just breathe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger